Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan
At its ordinary meeting on 30 April 2013, Council resolved to:
- Endorse the final Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan for the purpose of informing amendments to the Beaudesert Shire Planning Scheme 2007;
- Endorse the recommendations of the Canungra Local Planning Study Community Consultation Report; and
- Resolve in accordance with Section 117(1) of the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 to prepare and amendment to the Beaudesert Shire Planning Scheme 2007 to incorporate the policies of the final Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan.
The Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan presents an overall vision in which Canungra continues to be a ‘thriving rural village’ that maintains the Canungra lifestyle and village character whilst accommodating an expected population of 3000 residents. This overall vision is underpinned by the following six strategies:
1. Celebrate Canungra’s heritage and rural village lifestyle – by identifying and protecting local heritage and character, planning new parks and green spaces, and supporting other community assets like Canungra Showground.
2. Christie Street improvements - making Canungra’s main street more attractive and managing transport issues.
3. Land for businesses and employment– supporting local business and jobs.
4. Walking trails and open space - linking Canungra’s main attractions and greenspace.
5. Housing options in a village setting – promoting neighbourhood, street and building designs suited to Canungra.
6. Canungra Land Use Plan – a land use plan to manage Canungra’s expected growth from 700 to 3000 people over the next twenty years. The land use plan was determined through community consultation and provides a balanced approach to future development involving some greenfield expansion and development close to the centre of Canungra.
To view the Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan, click here
To view the Canungra Local Planning Study Community Consultation Report, click here
The Canungra Local Planning Study and Land Use Plan represents Council’s policy for managing growth in Canungra. The next step is to incorporate the endorsed policy into the Beaudesert Shire Planning Scheme 2007 to give it statutory effect. This will involve translating the plan into relevant planning scheme provisions. The detailed provisions will be subject to State review and further public consultation in accordance with the Sustainable Planning Act 2009. It is anticipated that the amendments will be finalised in mid-2014.