In an effort to stop the spread of mosquito-borne diseases, Council has an on-going treatment program to reduce mosquito breeding grounds on public land.
Residents are encouraged to get rid of all breeding grounds around their homes by:-
- Emptying all containers, including pot plant bases, birdbaths and flower vases, at least once a week and wiping the inside to remove mosquito eggs.
- Ensuring all openings to rainwater tanks are effectively screened with wire gauze.
- Keeping roof guttering free of leaves so that pools of water do not form.
- Drilling holes in tyres used for swings or garden surrounds to allow water to drain.
- Keeping ornamental ponds stocked with fish and free of water weeds.