« Back

7 APRIL - FUNDING AVAILABLE AS SCENIC RIM IS DECLARED A NATURAL DISASTER AREA

Parts of the Scenic Rim have been declared a natural disaster area following ex-Tropical Cyclone Debbie with funding announced for affected community members and businesses under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
 
NDRRA provides grant and loan assistance to disaster-affected community members, small businesses, non-profit organisations, primary producers and local councils for the impact of disasters. The Federal Government funds up to 75 per cent of the program and the State Government provides the remaining 25 per cent.
 
Mayor Greg Christensen said the funding aims to assist the relief and recovery of communities whose social, financial and economic wellbeing has been severely affected by a disaster in both the short and long term.
 
“There is help available for emergency and needs such as food and clothing, accommodation and essential repairs to damaged homes as well as the replacement of essential household contents," he said.
 
"As we assess the damages, we begin to comprehend the enormity of the work ahead of us. The assistance being made available through NDRRA is an opportunity for those affected to put things in perspective and make a plan for the long road to recovery," he said.
 
"Many roads, bridges and infrastructure have been affected, our primary producers have encountered soil loss and destruction, loss of livestock and houses and businesses have been inundated.
 
"This is our worst disaster since Cyclone Oswald in 2013 and it is worse than Cyclone Oswald. We estimate, at this early stage, that the repair bill will be similar, at around $40 million."
 
"I encourage you to make contact with the appropriate body to find out more about available assistance programs."
 

 

Relief Measures Available

Contact Details

Individuals

  • Personal Hardship Assistance Scheme
  • Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Scheme

Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services

 

Community Recovery Hotline:

1800 173 349

Website: www.communityrecovery.qld.gov.au

Small Businesses

  • Natural Disaster Assistance (Concessional Loans)
  • Essential Working Capital Loans Scheme
  • Special Disaster Assistance (Grants)

QRAA

Telephone: 1800 623 946

Website: www.qraa.qld.gov.au

Primary Producers

  • Natural Disaster Assistance (Concessional Loans)
  • Essential Working Capital Loans Scheme
  • Special Disasters Assistance (Grants)
  • Freight Subsidies for Primary Producers

QRAA

Telephone: 1800 623 946

Website: www.qraa.qld.gov.au

 

Department of Agriculture and Fisheries

Telephone: 07 3224 8832

Website: www.daf.qld.gov.au