It is an offence to park your car on public land with a "For Sale" sign on it.
Selling vehicles on public places is considered a business under Council's Local Law 5.1(Business on Public Places other than Council Facilities). Public places include road reserves, roadways, footpaths and other public land.
Where can I sell my vehicle?
- At a licensed car yard.
- On private property with the land owner's consent, and as long as the selling of vehicles does not contravene the Planning Scheme. (In most cases this will be acceptable if it is a one-off situation, but if vehicles are regularly sold fromthe property, approval may be required under the Planning Scheme.)
Why can't I sell my vehicle on a public place?
- Vehicles can create traffic and pedestrian hazard.
- Becomes unsightly.
- Precludes use of public space for its intended purpose.
What happens if I don't remove my vehicle?
- You will be issued with a Penalty Infringement Notice, and fined $375.
- Vehicle may be removed and impounded at your cost.
- Court action may follow for ongoing offences.