Youth Leadership Program
The Youth Leadership Program is an important part of Council’s aim of delivering relevant and appropriate projects that target the needs of young people in the Scenic Rim region.
This Program demonstrates Council's commitment to the development and support of young people and provides direction for Council's activities in relation to young people.
The Youth Leadership Program has now been running successfully since 2009 with highly interactive activity based activities that push students outside their comfort zones.
Since 2014 the program has been presented by Selina Scoble - Success Coach, Olympian, Business Owner, Entrepreneur and Speaker
Selina Scoble is widely recognised as the expert for those wanting to “achieve Success” fast. She has the rare distinction of being an Olympian and a coach to the top business coaches across Australia and around the world.
All High Schools in the Scenic Rim region get invited to nominate a select number of year 10 students to be put forward to the program each year.
The Program runs for 7 days over a 6 month period and aims to focus on a combination of three key topics:
- Youth Leadership Development (skills in leadership, self awareness, group facilitation, delivering effective presentations, networking and contributing to decision-making processes);
- Increase young peoples understanding of Government processes and invite young people’s input into Council programs and activities; and
- Provide an opportunity for young people to develop presentation skills with the program culminating in a 2 hour Youth Symposium on the final day.
Some of the comments from the 2015 Youth Leaders…
- I would recommend this program because it helps you to understand who you are as a leader and which paths you want to follow. It helps gain confidence with not only other people but also yourself. It's really fun and an interesting course for all.
- I would definitely recommend this program to future students as it not only helps the individual know themselves but also know how to deal and interact with other people (friends, family and strangers alike). Everyone can be a leader but the best leaders are the ones that can interact.