Annual Garage Sale Trail
Two massive weekends of pre-loved goods sale are happening over November 11-12 and 18-19 as part of the national Garage Sale Trail festival.
Garage Sale Trail is Australia’s festival of pre-loved stuff. It is a community-powered waste education and behaviour change program that aims to:
• Extend the life of household items and textiles, keeping them out of landfill.
• Get more of the community buying and selling secondhand.
• Connect residents and create a stronger sense of belonging.
Featuring the Trail Tutorial online workshop series and two weekends of garage sales, it’s about extending the life of your stuff and unearthing the ultimate pre-loved gem.
You can register a sale, sign up for a workshop or learn much here.
Powered locally by Council, 2022's event saw 113 local registrations with over 4,000 people attending sales across the Scenic Rim at residential houses, apartments, local businesses and community groups, at street sales and schools and even from car boots.
On a national level, in 2022, over 300,000 Aussies shopped or sold at more than 15,000 garage sales across the nation.
Key achievements for this year's Scenic Rim initiative:
- over 31,000 items were up for grabs across the region spanning across 113 local registrations
- the number of sales placed Scenic Rim Regional Council #2 in Queensland and #11 nationally per capita
- sales generated across both weekends kept 44,346 tonnes of reusable items out of landfill.
Real time impacts: