Building and Plumbing Building and Plumbing



Building Services

  • Development approval is required before you start building and/or plumbing and drainage work on your property.
  • This includes renovations, alterations and additions and before erecting retaining walls, carports and swimming pools.
  • Council officers can inspect and approve your construction project, in line with state laws.

Commercial/Industrial Building Applications

  • Council has limited capacity to receive and assess Commercial / industrial building applications therefore Council recommends you lodge the application with a Private Certifier

Water approvals for plumbing applications

  • ​Process for obtaining plumbing approvals - evidence of water approval from Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU) must be provided at application stage if located in a service provider's area.  For further details contact QUU on 13 26 57 or visit


Plumbing and Drainage Notifiable Work - Form 4

  • All plumbing work outside the schedule of Notifiable Work (Form 4) requires Council approval prior to commencement of work.
  • What you need to know about Notifiable Works
  • What needs a Form 4?
  • Information on Plumbing and Drainage Notifiable Minor Work can be found using the below link to the Queensland Building and Construction Commission - Information on Notifiable Minor Work


On-site Sewerage Systems (OSSF)


Backflow Prevention Device


Temporary Dwelling

  • People who are building their own home and wish to live on-site must obtain a temporary accommodation licence from Council. For further information contact Council's Environmental Health department.
  • To apply customers should read the checklist and complete the application




Changes to Pool Legislation

  • New Pool Laws effective 1 December 2010. Please click here for further information.
  • Changes to pool fence laws commenced on 27 July 2012. Please click here for further information.


Rainwater tanks

  • At its meeting dated 26 February 2013, Council approved a decision for rainwater tanks to be optional on new homes built in the Scenic Rim and connected to a full town water supply.
  • Scenic Rim properties connected to a mixed demand (trickle feed) supply or those which rely exclusively on rainwater or bulk water deliveries still require a rainwater tank.  Please click here for a guide on the size of tank required.



  • Council receives a number of complaints each year regarding stormwater run-off and overland flow from private land causing a nuisance to an adjoining or downstream property.  Council's intervention powers are limited but can respond to complaints relating to nuisances and flooding as a result of illegally constructed building and structures. For more infomation, see the stormwater factsheet


Neighbourhood Disputes

  • The Queensland Government regulates fencing, including how disputes between neighbours are resolved.
  • The Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 deals with constructing and repairing fences that divide adjoining land. It aims to help you obtain a monetary contribution from your neighbour and includes instructions about how to resolve any disputes. The Department of Justice and Attorney General can help you to avoid conflict with your neighbour about fences.
  • If you and your neighbour can't resolve the problem, the State Justice Department Dispute Resolution Centre can provide mediation without legal action. If an agreement can't be reached, the dispute can be taken to the Magistrates Court or the Small Claims Tribunal.